Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
简介WASHINGTON -- US President Joe Biden said on Sunday he believes the Hamas militant group must be eli ...
WASHINGTON -- US President Joe Biden said on Sunday he believes the Hamas militant group must be eliminated but there should be a path to a Palestinian state, after top US officials warned the war between Israel and Hamas could escalate.
Biden did not think American troops would be necessary on the ground as Israel has one of the "finest fighting forces," even as American warships headed to the area amid growing clashes on Israel's northern border with Lebanon.
Israel unleashed a ferocious bombing campaign over Gaza in retaliation for unprecedented attacks by Hamas eight days ago that killed some 1,400 Israelis, mostly civilians.
When asked if he believes Hamas must be eliminated entirely, Biden said "Yes, I do. But there needs to be a Palestinian authority. There needs to be a path to a Palestinian state," he said during a CBS "60 Minutes" interview broadcast on Sunday.
The US president warned it would be a mistake for Israel to occupy Gaza but that "taking out" Hezbollah and Hamas was a "a necessary requirement." He said "It would be a mistake to ... for Israel to occupy ... Gaza again."
Israel captured and occupied the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem in the 1967 Middle East war. It withdrew its settlers and troops from Gaza in 2005, before Hamas' takeover of the Strip in 2007.
The conflict has sent tensions soaring.
"There is a risk of an escalation of this conflict, the opening of a second front in the north and, of course, Iran's involvement," White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CBS earlier in the day.
Gaza authorities say more than 2,670 people have been killed there, a quarter of them children. Casualties are expected to rise as Israel prepares for a ground assault on the tiny, densely populated enclave that could start within days.
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced deployment of a second aircraft carrier group late on Saturday, calling it a sign of "our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war."
The aircraft carrier Dwight Eisenhower will join a small fleet including the massive Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the eastern Mediterranean.
"Iran is the elephant in the room," a US official briefed on the situation said about the increasing military presence. "The carriers are accompanied by warships and attack planes. Every effort is being made to stop this from becoming a regional conflict."
Biden said his message to Iran is to not escalate the conflict.
Iran Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian warned on Sunday his country could act, telling Al Jazeera that it had conveyed a message to Israeli officials that "if they do not cease their atrocities in Gaza, Iran cannot simply remain an observer."
"If the scope of the war expands, significant damages will also be inflicted upon America," he warned.
Biden told CBS the threat of terrorism in the US has increased due to growing unrest in the Middle East. He said, however, the US can take care of wars in Israel and Ukraine and still maintain its "international defense."
Violence on Israel's northern border is already escalating. Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah fighters launched attacks on Israeli army posts and a northern border village on Sunday; Israel retaliated with strikes in Lebanon.
The US is urging Israel to hold off on its ground offensive to allow humanitarian efforts for Gaza's residents trapped in the area, several US officials said.
Sullivan discussed a new weapons package for Israel and Ukraine that would be "significantly higher" than the previously reported $2 billion. He told CBS that Biden planned to have intensive talks on the package this week with the US Congress, which has been hobbled by Republicans' struggles to pick a new speaker of the House of Representatives.
Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer, speaking in Tel Aviv on Sunday, said the US Senate could move first to approve more funding for Israel. "We're not waiting for the House (of Representatives)," he said.
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham said on Sunday he is traveling to the region with other senators in coming days to push continued negotiations between Saudi Arabia and Israel.
Graham said he intended to introduce a bill that would "allow military action by the United States in conjunction with Israel to knock Iran out of the oil business" if Iran attacks Israel. (Reuters-Yonhap)
Seoul shares opened higher Thursday, tracking overnight gains on Wall Street, boosted by dovish comm ...
홍준표 대구시장이 23일 오전 대구 북구 대구시청 산격청사에서 열린 국회 행정안전위원회의 대구시에 대한 2023년도 국정감사에서 의원 질의에 답하고 있다. 뉴스1홍준표 대구시장이 ...
북한이 건군절(인민군 창건일) 75주년인 지난 2월 8일 평양 김일성광장에서 열병식을 개최하는 영상을 조선중앙TV가 9일 방송했다. 연합뉴스북한이 지난해 탈취한 가상화폐의 규모가 ...
- Trailblazer, Trax drive up GM Korea’s exports
- [Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- Samsung sets up control tower for new growth drivers
- [Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor
- Koreans will 'freeze to death' for iced Americanos even in winter
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- 'Batter Up': YG rookie Babymonster to debut as six
- Korea to start hiring E
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- 사전투표 D
- Samsung, LG, Hyundai closely monitoring potential biz fallout from Israel
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- 'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- [Our Museums] Explore cinematic treasures at Korean Film Museum