Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
简介Sophisticated rental housing scams in South Korea incurred over 510 billion won ($376.5 million) in ...
Sophisticated rental housing scams in South Korea incurred over 510 billion won ($376.5 million) in damages from January to July this year, with less than 25 percent of the damages retrieved, data showed Monday.
According to police data compiled by Rep. Jeon Bong-min, a lawmaker of the ruling People Power Party, the financial loss that 4,481 rental housing fraud victims across the nation suffered amounted to 510.5 billion won during the January-July period. The number of victims rose eightfold, while the financial damages jumped fivefold, compared with the yearly figure in 2022, according to Jeon.
The amount of money the country's law enforcement was able to retrieve from scammers, however, came to 115.3 billion won from January to August, or 22.6 percent of the damages incurred during the January-July period. In 2022, only 0.6 percent of damages were confiscated from fraudsters, according to Jeon.
The figures do not include the recent high-profile rental housing fraud case the previous week in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province, to which the authorities estimate that up to 760 people might have fallen victim. As of Saturday, up to 18 billion won in damages were reported to the police in 131 cases.
First-time lawmaker Jeon blamed the lack of legislation for the law enforcement's failure to confiscate any available properties of the scammers, who exploited loopholes in South Korea's unique rental housing system called "jeonse," as soon as the investigation started targeting them.
He called for the swift passage of the revision of the Act On Special Cases Concerning the Confiscation and Return Of Property Acquired Through Corrupt Practices, which he proposed in April, to allow law enforcement to collect or freeze scammers' assets so that they cannot dispose of a specific property until after they get a court mandate to return the money to victims.
Korean courts have sentenced scammers up to 10 years of imprisonment as criminal punishment, but there are flaws in retrieving jeonse scammers' assets before they are indicted because the law does not recognize their gains through housing rental scams as ones acquired through corrupt practices, according to Jeon.
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin highlighted America's ability to address "crises in multiple theat ...
윤석열 대통령이 16일 오전 서울 용산구 대통령실 청사 앞 어린이정원에서 열린 제63차 수석비서관회의를 주재하고 있다. [사진 대통령실]“총알도 없고, 손발도 묶인 상황이다.” 1 ...
Last year's deadly crowd crush at Itaewon, Seoul claimed more than lives. Recent data showed 1,316 f ...
- Art Busan's unveils galleries, theme for inaugural fair, Define Seoul
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid
- [Today’s K
- Viviz to drop 4th EP ‘Versus’ next month
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- [Herald Interview] Korea
- Defense minister rejects plans for J
- [KH Explains] Why do Woori, NongHyup hold on to North Korean operations?
- Hyundai E&C completes design of new hydrogen plant
- 인요한 만난 김종인 “처방은 잘했지만, 환자가 약을 먹어야”
- 'Omega X will not give up': Boy band returns to share message of hope
- 인요한 "이준석에 통크게 제안…돌아와 총선 중책 맡아달라"
- LG Uplus Q3 net income down on higher costs
- Samsung CEO highlights AI safety research
- 'Justice will prevail': G
- 홍준표 "뜬금없이 김포 편입론, 반짝 특수 노리는 떴다방"
- Cold wave hit S. Korea amid forecast of even chillier morning
- Pianist Sohn Min
- 김성태 "인요한, 방향 잘 설정해 뚜벅뚜벅 잘 하고 있다"
- S. Korea retracts bans on disposable cups at cafes, restaurants
- [Korean History] In 2004, serial murderer with goal to kill 100 was stopped at 20
- 블링컨 美국무장관 한국 도착…9일 한미 외교장관 회담
- [Herald Interview] Through memories, Bora Jin pens ode to grandfather and Busan
- Celltrion posts record earnings in Q3, buoyed by upbeat biosimilar sales
- Kard signs with Cardi B, Post Malone's agency